Saturday, July 12, 2014

After the Storm (Unedited)

I.

I cried an ocean of tears
They flooded the hidden corridors
Of the catacombs in my soul
Swept me out and away
Barely able to swim
Holding everything in
Just to breathe
One tiny breath
To get me by
Day turned into night
Eyes closed and losing sight
Floating out to the
Endless sea
Where no one would ever be able
To find me.

I floated in my river
Bumping into jagged rocks
Bruised and broken
Not able to swim
It took me down in the
Undercurrent
Body going down
Down
Too tired to drown
Rushing current constantly rushing
Another breath
Before I go numb
I let the river take me
Knowing it's headed to the
Ocean
And I'm too weak to care.

Waterfall
I'm going in
Body tumbling
Crashing into the
Sharp waves
That cut like knives
The storm is raging now
What started as a shower
The sky has opened up
Pelting raindrops
Slapping me awake
Pray to God
This storm does not take
What little breath I have.

Eyes stay open
Feeling the salt
Sting all my opened scars
Lightning crashing
Fear inside thrashing
No land in sight
But I forget to cry
I have to survive.

II.

The night was long
I must've slept
The sun is shining
And I'm floating
Weightless.

My fingers graze sand
I fear I must be dreaming
But I take a handful
Salt, water, and sand
Gripping tight my hand
I think of selfish things
A warm bed
Food
I remember that off chance day
When life was in a better mood
Distractedly looking up in the
Bluest sky
Watching the clouds
Wander by
Giving in to the thought
That I met my listless destination
Depressing resignation.

Like a lifeless log
My body stops floating
Stuck in the sand and mud
Afraid to look around
A cunning mirage
Jolted loose from my
Mind's eye
Surely.

III.

How long have I been here?
Moments suspended
I feel the sun
I feel my skin
I feel the visceral
Inner me
I start to see
More importantly
I feel land
Only God knows how
I ended up on this shore.

I slowly start to rise
Take my first
Hesitant step
Then another
Feet sinking
But not slipping
The storm was so long
The clear day
Almost seems wrong
Now I have to make my way
This island
I suddenly adopted
So unexpected
I hold my excitement
Waiting for the sky
To open up
With it, all my dreams
Snuffed.

But the storm holds her
Breath too, it seems
Casually watching me
Nodding her head
As if I passed a test
Dancing my dancer's jest


**A work in progress.  Not sure if this is just rambling..**








No comments:

Post a Comment