Thursday, July 10, 2014

Earning My Stripes

"You came back.  Nobody ever does."

He silently dealt the cards
And I took my hand
Nodding my head.

Wild hair and wild eyes
She's calling the county
"Dontcha know?"
Saw her today
She called me 'sister'
My feet fell into her
Groovy sway.

Golden glove boxer
Doesn't feel quite right
Wait til 10
Talk about the fight
He'll boyishly smile
And work his
Magnificent mile.

Let the girl sing
Her soft harmony
To the supreme Supremes
Motown rising
She'll walk the longest walk
Quietly.

Oh, but that woman
She was the toughest
Thought to be the gruffest
She got her new leg
She smiled so pretty
Walked for the first time
Since February
Always remembers my name
Hangs her head
Asks
"You're back.  Am I dead?"
She makes me laugh
I pat her on the back.

I was a stranger in their town
Nobody stays around
A placebo in the ghetto
Broken hearts and broken dreams
No signs of family
They have my heart
Hanging from
Their
Broken doors and seamless seams.


No comments:

Post a Comment