Saturday, October 26, 2013

SHE

SHE
Whisked out of the court room .  Bright, silky turban splashing color in the cold marble room.  A smile was on her face.  Neither boastful nor conceited.  A smile that said, "If I were to die today, what a good day to die." A lawyer.  A warrior.  Battling cancer.  Offering her services free of charge.  Protecting the abused from their abuser.

SHE
Wrapped in tattoo art; flouncing her proverbial tomahawk in a room of silent onlookers.  Young.  Brash.  My mind could not help to think "That's why he chose her.  To break her strong spirit."  But she was so young.  Couldn't have been more than 19.  Oh, then she spoke.  Voice cracking as she cried.  A sweet, songbird voice "I just need this to be over.  I want him to stay away from me."

SHE
Sitting on the court room bench.  Arguing with her mother.  A mother fighting to understand yet begging her young daughter to lower her voice and "calm down."  She did.  Lower her voice.  To a husky growl.  Calm down, she did not.  Looked to be about 16.  Definitely the youngest I have personally seen.  Her demeanor was poignant.  There was no doubt in my mind she would be ok.  She brought her own law to the court room.

SHE
Soaked all of this in on that day.  As she waited for her judge to appoint his decision.  3 years into this battle.  I imagine she could invite her judge over for Thanksgiving dinner.  Such is the respect her judge tirelessly awards her.  She talks about it now like it's some other person's story.  I don't know.  Maybe it's just easier that way.  Having left her abuser, she fights tirelessly for the safety of her precious son.  This last "SHE" is me.  Committed to building awareness on intolerable violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment