Saturday, August 23, 2014

Surviving Narcissistic Sociopathic Abuse

I've read the stories of survivors speaking about their ordeal.  The lengths the narcissistic sociopathic abuser will go to torment their prey.  Thankfully, I can say there have been no court dates since January.  I cringe writing that - fearing somehow I've tempted fate and the court will send me a court notice for a visitation hearing.  There was a long dry spell of my abuser not contacting me except when he picked up Tot and that was only long enough for Tot to slip out the door before I shut it and locked it tight - watching to make sure he gets him safely in his car.  No one can really explain the anxiety that goes along with this type of survival.  I'd love to scream "It's over!"  In fact, my spirit wants so very bad for that to be the case.  Even through the dry spell, I'd check the mail for a court notice.  It's really about me getting in the mind of my abuser to see what steps he might take next because it's not over.  He still wants contact with me and I still vehemently fight it.  I blocked him from texting and / or calling me on my cell phone.  Thank God for the iPhone that affords me the luxury of blocking a caller. 

Then I read more stories so similar to mine.  Women fighting their way through survival for longer than my 4, going on 5, years.  Women who talk about the very same "dry spell" and then suddenly their abuser makes or attempts contact.  Contact which is far from normal.  Thankfully, my abuser is afraid of the court system and afraid of going to jail.  I have to constantly remind myself of my blessings in this.  He still visits Tot every weekend, but the times of pick-up and drop-off are erratic.  Personally, that's a blessing.  Ahh..but there's a double-edged sword.  On the weekend the visit happens to be both Saturday and Sunday, I have to make sure I'm home.  There is no guarantee my ex will keep Tot for the full allotted time of the court ordered visits.  That alone would give me cause to take him to court and force his hand, but that would also mean he might see that as a way to visually see me more.  He likes to fight and torment.  Whether it's verbally or mentally, is neither here nor there.  He strives to keep a negative chain.  So, I've kept my Irish-German mouth shut.  I let him pick Tot up late and bring Tot back much earlier than the norm.  It's been no eye contact and the fewest words necessary, mostly to Tot to tell him Mommy loves him as he leaves with my ex.  I've let my ex move 3 times in the last year without saying a word and not even demanding an address.  Knowing instinctively to let it ride - but that moment has changed.

The FBI could hire me for all the investigative work I do and the gut feelings that have kept me 3 steps ahead of a narcissistic sociopath.  Caller id with unknown numbers; gauging how many calls occur in that instance and determining if it warrants me calling the police to investigate further.  A number with an unknown area code.  That alerted me the most.  Receiving a text with that same unknown area code and it happens to be my ex sending me a text letting me know he's moved.   A week goes by and another random text.  Him knowing full well he can call the landline and leave a message.  So today I spoke up and out.  I asked for his address.  Waved my hand at his attempt to "talk". I kept my speech abrupt, precise, and to the point.  When he dropped Tot off an hour earlier than the normal visit time, I demanded the address and specifically told him no texting or calling my personal cell phone.  As he started arguing, I shut the door, locked it, and went about my business of blocking this new number from my cell phone.   I had grown comfortable with driving Tot the same way to his daycare every day.  Now I take a different route every time. 

It all sounds "old hat", doesn't it?  Let me be the first to tell you, it's extremely taxing and wearing on my spirit to constantly keep my guard up.  Depression and acceptance.  I roiled aimlessly in depression and now it's a depressing acceptance that this just might be how it will be for the rest of my life.  The erratic visit times on any given weekend.  Which, by the way, is a way for my abuser to keep me home and on guard.  It works.  Always on edge.  Wondering what a weekend might bring.  He sometimes doesn't bother to call (the landline phone) to leave a message he won't be picking up Tot.  It sometimes just hangs.  He also knows I share his unwillingness to return to a court and a judge that has no clue how to handle this particular situation.  So I handle it on my own.  I stay at home.  Like the damn good girl that I am.  Inwardly - silently - I pray for my ex to just leave Tot and I alone and let us go about our life.  Then I feel guilty about having the nerve to ask God of such a thing.  What if Tot is actually bonding with ex?  Then reality quickly steps in and confirms my thoughts.  Tot comes home and still very minimally speaks about his visits.  Tot still fights separation anxiety.  And then I want to scream.  Scream so loud it would break the windows in this house.  Tot wants a bond with ex but it just isn't there.  He asks me now on a regular basis "Is Daddy coming to pick me up this weekend?"  I have to be honest and say that I simply don't know.  I see his face and its smile instantaneously vanish.  He too is becoming numb to this.  I have to constantly tell Tot that he can tell me anything.  He simply doesn't know how to verbalize his confusion and frustration. 

My new job keeps me hopping throughout the week with some places wanting me to work on a Saturday.  Time away from my boy.  Time I desperately need to unwind and bond and play with my sweet boy.  Am I doing any of this right? God knows I'm doing the best I can.  At least the worst of the depression and the ever aching need for more sleep is subsiding.  I have a mother with her own health and mental issues and often wonder "Dear God, am I mentally unstable too!?" I have an older brother who often acts like my younger brother.  Always scolding him on how to act and react with Tot in this delicate visitation situation.  It ain't perfect but it's at least a semblance of a support system.  I could go into long, drawn-out details of my dysfunctional family but that's another blog that I simply don't have time for and I just throw my hands up and say "Crap! It is what it is." There isn't any understanding of the introverted soul in my family, so I often have to step outside of my comfort zone and speak up.  Expecting conflict at every turn.  At least my own soul searching allows me to look inward and see how better I can react (or lack thereof) in my familial zone.  So it's a constant inward search in a family that sees no need to inwardly search a damn thing.  Don't get me wrong.  They love me and I love them.  But I'm not about to call an apple an orange.  My mother is just now starting to see *me*.  And that's a very limited view.  Her own childhood was riddled with dysfunction in a time where that simply was not discussed, reviewed, or counseled.  Monday through Friday it's the same old droll.  Tot and I come home from work and daycare not wanting to talk and answer endless questions.  We are both introverts who need time to simply unwind.  And every Monday through Friday we both get hammered with questions.  Tot rebels and will outright scream.  I have to constantly explain myself.  I have to constantly ask for the questions to stop so Tot doesn't scream.  It's the very negative lifestyle I so hard try to avoid. 

I could go on but I'm sure by now you get the point.  This is damn hard and so damn depressing.  I pray God has big hands because I put it all in His hands.  I don't know what else to do.

4 comments:

  1. You are a warrior in the truest sense of the word... You will prevail in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing. I spill my guts at my seemingly weakest moments and you always see through it.. seeing the end point that I also visualize. Writing this helped me in so many ways and also made me look further inward. I do feel like a warrior. Thank you for reading it and seeing my point without my actually having to spell it all out. It's extremely relieving to know there are true friends. But something else amazing is happening. I'm realizing not all men are cut from the same cloth. You, my friend, are a cut above. Words almost killed my spirit. Reading this simple, eloquent comment hones in on the fact that words can also heal. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Kendra,

    I could go on and on about how I can relate. I don't know that it would be of any help for me to explain what happened to my kids and me. Every person's story is different even if we can empathize.
    What happened to my family is tragic. What I could write is horrible. It took me years to get to a point of forgiveness and let go of the anger. I cannot say that I have fully forgiven. I have let go. I realized that my own anger had a huge impact on my kids. It was also a way of holding on to the past . My hurt and anger allowed him to still live inside of this me.
    It really is a mental battle. I had a reckoning with myself.
    One day, you'll get to the point where you'll not allow him to upset you. You'll respond to his hate/hurt with kindness. That won't be weak, it will be you winning. He is playing a game. That's what they like. If they cannot have you, they want you to suffer with them. No matter how tough or broken they act, it's another way of getting to you.
    I have a permanent restraining order. He still finds a way to remain in my life. I still have flashbacks and bad dreams.
    It's been over four-years since the divorce. I was seventeen when we married. We were married eighteen-years. I have a lot of regret and shame that I carried because of the abuse. Most of that has to do with the difficulties my now adult children have faced.
    Abuse has a ripple effect on those we love the most. Patience and love are key to healing.
    The mistakes that my ex and I made had a lasting effect on my children.
    I can't go into detail here, but you know where to find me.
    I urge you to read all of Psalms 91. Meditate on it. That one scripture got me through many years in prayer. (I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”) I couldn't have survived without my own inner faith.
    We speak a language of affliction. There's a God who speaks all languages. He needs people who speak the language of affliction to help each other.
    Keep writing out the pain. Turn the negative energy into positive.
    You are valuable and you count as an extraordinary person. You will touch many lives with your testimony.
    Please forgive me if this seems preachy. I want to help, not hurt.
    You don't have to explain yourself to people. Do what's right by your child. You know in your heart what that is. You don't need anybody to tell you what to do or how to live your life. You are the mom. You are responsible for your own life and that of your child's.
    Distance and cutting some people off helped me.
    A father loses his rights to be in a child's life once abuse crosses the line with them too. When they become adults, they can decide if they want him in their lives again. If that line hasn't been crossed yet, it will if the abuser remains. If you cannot prevent that person from being in a child's life because of the law/court order, make sure you are keeping any evidence. Don't give up the fight. It is a tiresome long road. As long as your child is young, your ex will try to find a way to be in your lives. Look forward to a future when your child is an adult. It does help.
    I can't promise you that everything will get better soon. It will get easier in time.
    You are doing the best you can. That's all that you can do. Please don't be hard on yourself.
    Don't let distractions get in the way of the best life you can live.

    Let it be well in your soul. Claim it is so and it will be. Do this daily. It helps!

    Of love, hope, and peace,
    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This brought tears to my eyes. Your comment. I knew you were also a survivor without you having to even tell me. A counselor once told me, survivors of abuse recognize other survivors almost instantaneously. It's in our eyes, our tone of voice, the way we carry ourselves. I read your blog posts every day. I may not comment on all but know I am aware of your survival and it does help me heal. None of what you say sounds "preachy". Not ever. It's one survivor speaking to another and it's downright beautiful. On my longest, hardest nights, I hold onto moments such as this. It helps pull me through. Thank you.

      Delete