Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Commercializing Jesus

I don't want to sound like a martyr.  I was in a Christian bookstore looking for a bible for my son -- so I could read it to him.  He's at that age where he is trying to put all the pieces of God and Jesus together and it is a little confusing.  The age-appropriate bible is thick with pictures and a beautiful way of explaining Jesus and His message.

As I stood in the store, perusing the merchandise, it struck me.  So odd.  Key chains with Jesus messages.  Bookmarks with prayers.  Devotional books by the dozen.  Bracelets, anklets, trinkets.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's great.  It just all seemed so "commercial" -- the real message somehow getting lost in the material world.  Outside the store, a photographer and a person dressed in an oversized bunny suit were attempting to calm a scared straight toddler.  The mother admonished her -- demanding the picture to be completed as scheduled.  I saw life through that toddler's eyes.  Bunnies are not supposed to be that darn big.  Let's just face it.  I know the picture will be an overall success and the mother and daughter will laugh about the memory in years to come. 

It just seems to me that all of the Christian holidays are now overly commercialized.  Easter is such a beautiful Christian story of resurrection but it just seems to be getting lost in the Easter egg hunt and photo-ops with Peter Cottontail. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Personally, I'm glad I spent more money on Tot's bible and less on his little Easter basket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment