Monday, April 28, 2014

Warning Label

Contents
Under pressure
Sudden
Combustible
Implosion
When exposed to
Extreme situations
Or extreme environments


*work in progress.  This poem will surely be edited at some near or distant future.  I found myself in an unexpected tailspin after seeing a commercial with Mariska Hargitay who is a huge proponent of ending domestic violence.  Now one would surely think this would have me grabbing my proverbial tomahawk screeching like a proud Indian mama.  Quite the unexpected opposite.  It sparked emotions in me that rose and rose just one night ago. I later read a report from a domestic abuse survivor on an internet site.  I ignored my rising emotions - thinking it would all pass like the wind.  Nope.  I was sitting, getting ready to write beautiful poetry and angry, hot tears started spilling.  They poured out of me.  The more I tried to stop it, the more they spilled.  I needed that release.  All the labels and misperceptions and my own denial or resistance of emotion needed to stop.  It's a process.  I try so hard to paint it all pretty and make damn sure no one worries about me.  We all have moments and I surely had mine.  PTSD is something I put on the back burner.  Ignorance is definitely not bliss in this situation.  I decided today to just 'roll with it' instead of against it.  It had been so long since the symptoms hit me and they never hit me like they did last night.  It caught me off guard.  Now I know.  There will be times and certain situations that I won't be able to easily define.  The emotions will come suddenly and without warning.  Now I know.  I do like to be prepared, so last night was a blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment