Saturday, April 12, 2014

Requiem

Memories flooded in
taking my poetic verse
out with my salty tears of
remembrance.
Remembering the little,
little things that made me laugh.
Combing through old pictures;
arresting the moment.  His sparkling,
blue eyes.  I gazed at the wheat fields-
seeing them through his eyes.  Country
girl memories flooding my memory.  I
sat cross-legged in the center of my soul
and let it all in.  The tears, the laughter, the
questioning; everything.  The anniversary of
his death came blasting in my memory.
The sound of unexpected laughter and sad
smiles. The numb hand shakes and the
empty nods of agreement that his death
was a grievous grievance.  The closing of the
lid of the taupe coffin; screaming in my head
to see him one last time.  Point Guard final salute
on a sunny April morning.  Each blast reverberating
deep in my soul.  I counted each one. The faint
sound of the blast heavy in my spirit with each
footstep as we walked away from his grave.
It all came back.  4 years and it felt like yesterday.
I took the moment to remember.  My son saw his
picture hanging in the hallway and smiled and
wanted to touch his face.  "Grandpa."
We both laughed.  The sound a
resounding requiem.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to a very special man forever in your heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This year was poetically heartbreaking. But I have so many good and beautiful memories of him! I always end up smiling.

      Delete