Saturday, May 24, 2014

You're A Pretty One

His confused eyes blinked with
reality.  Chatting about the love
of his life; his precious wife
of 65 years.  New grandchild's
milestone - his love shone.
He turned to
"Oh, but you're a pretty one.
Where's your husband?"  I laughed. 
Told him he was probably lost and
too damn proud to ask for directions.
He didn't laugh.  He stared and shook
his head.  The brevity.  My situation
hanging heavy once again.  Single mommy
diving in. 
"This world's a big, big place.  You need
more than a pretty face."
He hung his head to that and grabbed for his
nonexistent hat.  Scratching his head as if it
would make something happen.  I kept silent.
He looked at me with tears in his eyes.
"I know why but it's just sad.  Guys these days;
they just make me mad."
I hung my head to that
Scratching my own
Nonexistent hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment