Sunday, February 9, 2014

Heartfelt Prayer

The hardest part of being
A survivor
Is knowing the victim's soul

I once walked her path
I played her roll

She hides
Behind
Tired eyes
Glittery lies
Making a thousand
Excuses

Her own needs
She refuses

She's convinced
Of her own convincing
Blind to
Painful wincing

The only thing I can do
Is refuse to
Listen to
The pretty speech
That masks her
Overwhelming fear

Give her strict advice
Look her in the eye
And simply ask her why

I say a prayer
With her burned in my mind
She's stronger than she knows
I pray there's still time.

*She was 14 when she met him and never looked beyond what he told her.  Now she's pregnant and the baby will come to start a premature life.  She's fighting to know what this all means; a mother and a wife.  But as I was talking to her I noticed her hand rubbing her pregnant belly.  Motherly instinct and fire behind her tired eyes.  Her sweet head nodded in agreement during our unspoken conversation.  I see her and she well knows I know.  She's locking this somewhere in the back of her mind for future reference.  If not to ask me, then to at least remember there are survivors and she can make a way.  Right now she won't take anyone's advice but she's planning, nonetheless. 

Her voice remained low, because the baby can hear her.  Calming deep breaths.  It's in the eyes, if you ever want to know.  A stormy sea of raging emotions and thoughts that just can't be swept clean.  She talked an awful lot about the career she gave up.  Her passion is burning.  There's hope, yet.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in that writing process now. It's hard & sometimes painful to write..but I'm doing it. Slowly :)

    ReplyDelete